Did you know that within five minutes of waking up in the morning at least 1/3 of us check our phones, and over 2/3 use phones during mealtimes with family and friends? This excessive reliance on digital devices is taking a toll on our bodies. The relative weight of your head can go from 10 pounds to 40 pounds! And, as technology advances and lifestyles change, so do our posture, back, and neck problems.
Using our phones, gaming for fun, and working on computers have caused us to develop rounded shoulders and forward heads. Similarly, this was only seen in the elderly as they would look down more often to watch their steps, causing postural changes and loss of trunk strength.
Is your phone or computer being a pain in the neck and back? If so, we have some daily exercises to help relieve the pain. Check them out!
Daily Back and Neck Stretches
There are six daily stretches that, if performed one to two times per day for five to 10 repetitions, can help maintain a healthy posture.
- Tuck your chin to your chest and keep your chest elevated
- Stand straight and lower your ear toward the same shoulder, keeping it in line with the shoulder and not leaning the head forward. Repeat each side.
- Stand in a corner or a doorway with hands placed at shoulder height and stretch then at should width. Lean forward, allowing arms and shoulders to stretch thoroughly.
- Grasp hands together in front of the chest, look downward, and reach forward with hands.
- Gently pull the back of your head towards the same side axilla (armpit). Repeat each side.
- Squeeze shoulder blades together and slide them down toward your waist.
These daily exercises will help relieve the extra stress put on back and neck muscles, but to help keep a healthy posture, remember to take other precautions. Never stay in the same position for too long. Always try to sit up or stand up tall every 15 minutes for approximately 5 to 10 seconds.
Pure Physical Therapy Can Help
If these simple exercises seem to not help lessen aches, pains and discomfort, it’s time to see a physical therapist. At Pure Physical Therapy in McAllen, we truly are the experts in relieving pain and improving the quality of life for our patients. Contact us today for a free screening and get back to being you!